This role is remote but requires availability during most EMEA working hours, and some availability during US working hours.
Our product lets users join together disparate datasets, connect siloed marketing and sales SaaS tools, and construct automated “playbooks” for customer acquisition, leveraging the Modern Data Stack. The orchestration of these playbooks is complex and can only be done by mastering scalable APIs, ETLs, Reverse ETLs, distributed systems, and directed acyclic graphs (DAGs). We work with a modern technology stack (React/Node, Python) as well as cutting edge data technologies such as Prefect and dbt. Our systems processes terabytes daily and aim to provide sub-second response times to our customers’ queries and make batch processing behave like real-time.
After bootstrapping our way to almost $1M in revenue in our first year, Craft Ventures swooped in to lead Seed and Series A rounds as we continued to demonstrate consistent 20.1% MoM growth. Early team members of Carta, Okta, Figma, Masterclass, Segment, Pilot.com, People.AI, and Skyhigh have also joined our investor network.
We are a small and dedicated, distributed team (~25 people), working on making advanced data infrastructure developed at large tech companies accessible to marketing and sales teams around the world. If you are fascinated by the software that powers large technology companies such as Dropbox, but want the challenges and freedom that come with working in a small startup, then a working at Primer might be just the thing for you!
The mission of the Data Scientist is to unify advanced data analytics and machine learning techniques, fostering a seamless integration between the front-end user experience and the entire data lifecycle within Primer. Their role is to bring a data-centric perspective to the crafting of the front-end user experience, enhancing user data interaction, data storage, and analysis mechanisms, Primer wants to go beyond surface-level interactions to leverage data insights to redefine how users explore and mold their Ideal Customer Profile (ICP), incorporating valuable additions such as CRM metric-associated objectives.. You’ll help power that.
Simultaneously, the Data Scientist will contribute to the entire data lifecycle within Primer. This involves applying advanced data analytics and machine learning to optimize the arrival, processing, and dissemination of data, generating user value and supporting data-driven initiatives across the company. The Data Scientist will work hand-in-hand with our Integrations team to ensure the construction and maintenance efficient data pipelines, and handling the convergence of diverse data sources with a commitment to data quality, performance, and adherence to SLAs.
Together with all engineering counterparts, we want this person to advance Primer's capability, aiding users in understanding their market, guiding strategic Go-to-Market (GTM) motions, and facilitating effective user interactions with data. The Data Scientist's role is pivotal in bridging the front-end and back-end aspects, creating a holistic and impactful data-driven experience for Primer users.
What you’ll do
- Interpret and analyze data using exploratory mathematic and statistical techniques based on the scientific method.
- Plan, execute, and manage data projects with cloud-native platforms and advanced solutions.
- Design, implement, and maintain data pipelines.
- Communicate complex concepts and hypothesis to a non-technical audience through digital storytelling.
- Coordinate research and analysis activities, utilizing various data points (structured and unstructured) and employ programming to clean, normalize, and organize the data.
- Apply and develop algorithms, scientific methodologies, and statistics to discover and frame relevant problems, hypotheses, and opportunities.
What you’ll need
- 5-8 years of relevant data engineering industry experience in a fast paced, high growth tech environment.
- Hands-on experience building statistical models, and creating data visualizations using tools like Tableau, Power BI, and R Shiny.
- High level of expertise using R, Python (NumPy, SciPy, Pandas) or similar analytical languages.
- Experience working with large data sets and with distributed computing technologies like Hadoop or MapReduce.
- Experience with unit testing, documenting advanced analytics methods, predictive/pattern analysis, and others.
You’ll succeed by having
- Obsession to numbers, statistics and data visualization.
- Proactive and honest communication.
- Successful translation of “tech speak” to “business speak”.
- Excitement in solving the unsolvable.
- Familiarity with marketing concepts and terminology.
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science or related fields, or equivalent work experience.
- Self-discipline and high organization skills to consistently deliver quality work, with little supervision.
What’s in it for you?
- Be part of a different sort of unicorn: an early stage startup focused on profitability with demonstrated, consistent revenue growth (20.1% MoM growth in 2021) that also provides a supportive environment for working families. Many of us have young kids and we prioritize work/life balance.
- Feel trusted. Our team is fully distributed, supports flexible schedules, and we spend 90% of our time outside of meetings. Fridays are free of meetings. We value outcomes, not face time.
- We invest in our team and catapult careers. We hope you’ll stay at Primer for a long time, but we’ll help you achieve your goals no matter what. Many people have gone on to top-tiered companies like WhatsApp, Facebook, and Tesla beyond working with our leadership team.
- We are proud to have attracted a diverse team from all around the world. Our current team is based in the United States, Bosnia, Georgia, Pakistan, India, and Turkey. 50% of our product/engineering team is women.
- Our engineering ceremonies and technology are world-class, putting engineers in the driver’s seat, and emphasize on transparency.
- Our founders have a proven track record inside of startups (Y Combinator, Wheelhouse, Modsy, Eden) as well as decades of industry experience from places like BlackRock and Dropbox.
- Our culture is high-achieving, genuinely kind, and collaborative.
BENEFITS (VARIES BY LOCATION)
- Fully distributed team and flexible, remote work.
- Required 5 weeks paid time off.
- Retirement planning (401k)
- Generous parental and family leave.
- Comprehensive health plans.
- New equipment and office stipend.
- Support for personal and professional development outside of work.
- Annual team offsite.
- Diverse and fun team.
What is the interview process like?
We pride ourselves on being respectful of your time. Our interview process starts with an introductory call with our CTO or Director of Engineering (30 minutes), followed by one or two sessions with members of our engineering team who will assess you and your skills (1 hour each). We typically provide a decision within 24-48 hours from the last meeting, and aim to conclude the whole process within a week; provided that it works with your schedule.
What do I do now?
If this sounds like an interesting opportunity, please apply by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and include your LinkedIn profile, CV, Github repos, or anything else that you think might give us a good sense of who you are.