💽 BE Engineer, Data & Integrations
This role is remote but requires availability during most US working hours.
Our product lets users join together disparate datasets, connect siloed marketing and sales SaaS tools, and construct automated “playbooks” for customer acquisition, leveraging the Modern Data Stack. The orchestration of these playbooks is complex and can only be done by mastering scalable APIs, ETLs, Reverse ETLs, distributed systems, and directed acyclic graphs (DAGs). We work with a modern technology stack (React/Node, Python) as well as cutting edge data technologies such as Prefect and dbt. Our systems processes terabytes daily and aim to provide sub-second response times to our customers’ queries and make batch processing behave like real-time.
After bootstrapping our way to almost $1M in revenue in our first year, Craft Ventures swooped in to lead Seed and Series A rounds as we continued to demonstrate consistent 20.1% MoM growth. Early team members of Carta, Okta, Figma, Masterclass, Segment, Pilot.com, People.AI, and Skyhigh have also joined our investor network.
We are a small and dedicated, distributed team (~20 people), working on making advanced data infrastructure developed at large tech companies accessible to marketing and sales teams around the world. If you are fascinated by the software that powers large technology companies such as Dropbox, but want the challenges and freedom that come with working in a small startup, then a working at Primer might be just the thing for you!
The mission of the Senior Backend Engineer, Data and Integrations, is to take ownership of the entire lifecycle of data within Primer. This encompasses the arrival and processing of data to generate user value, as well as the effective dissemination of data-driven initiatives across the company for user benefit.
This role demands a profound understanding of constructing and maintaining APIs, particularly third-party APIs. Additionally, the Senior Backend Engineer must possess the expertise to design, develop, and sustain data pipelines, ensuring optimal performance. Handling the convergence of diverse data sources, including conflict resolution, maintaining data quality, and adhering to SLAs, is a crucial aspect of this mission.
What you’ll do
- Develop services to manage and utilize batch & streaming data at Primer easily.
- Build tools to help enable the development of workflows/workloads to stream/process/transform data asynchronously.
- Work closely with product/other platform and infrastructure engineers to design and build platforms that can be leveraged throughout the company.
- Evangelize best practices both internally and externally.
What you’ll need
- 5+ years of experience in relevant software development industry experience in a fast-paced, high-growth tech environment.
- 1+ year of experience working with Kubernetes environments.
- Experience building and maintaining integrations.
- Advanced knowledge of databases and SQL with the ability to efficiently stage, process, and transform data (Postgres preferred)
- Strong understanding of concurrency, parallelization, and classical data processing techniques like MapReduce.
- Familiarity with software engineering development cycles
- English proficiency/fluency (written and speaking). Note: Interviews will be conducted in English
- Bonus: Very good node.js skills, which will help you onboard quickly.
You’ll succeed by having
- Proactive and honest communication.
- Experience working in distributed teams, using asynchronous ceremonies.
- Pleasure working in areas outside of your comfort zone.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to hold yourself and the team to high standards
What’s in it for you?
- Be part of a different sort of unicorn: an early stage startup focused on profitability with demonstrated, consistent revenue growth (20.1% MoM growth in 2021) that also provides a supportive environment for working families. Many of us have young kids and we prioritize work/life balance.
- Feel trusted. Our team is fully distributed, supports flexible schedules, and we spend 90% of our time outside of meetings. Fridays are free of meetings. We value outcomes, not face time.
- We invest in our team and catapult careers. We hope you’ll stay at Primer for a long time, but we’ll help you achieve your goals no matter what. Many people have gone on to top-tiered companies like WhatsApp, Facebook, and Tesla beyond working with our leadership team.
- We are proud to have attracted a diverse team from all around the world. Our current team is based in the United States, Bosnia, Georgia, Pakistan, India, and Turkey. 50% of our product/engineering team is women.
- Our engineering ceremonies and technology are world-class, putting engineers in the driver’s seat, and emphasize on transparency.
- Our founders have a proven track record inside of startups (Y Combinator, Wheelhouse, Modsy, Eden) as well as decades of industry experience from places like BlackRock and Dropbox.
- Our culture is high-achieving, genuinely kind, and collaborative.
BENEFITS (VARIES BY LOCATION)
- Fully distributed team and flexible, remote work.
- Required 5 weeks paid time off.
- Retirement planning (401k)
- Generous parental and family leave.
- Comprehensive health plans.
- New equipment and office stipend.
- Support for personal and professional development outside of work.
- Annual team offsite.
- Diverse and fun team.
What is the interview process like?
We pride ourselves on being respectful of your time. Our interview process starts with an introductory call with one of our founders or Technical Lead (30 minutes), followed by a deep dive with our Data & Integrations team lead, then a half-day session to meet our team. We typically provide a decision within 24-48 hours from the last meeting and aim to conclude the whole process within a week, provided that it works with your schedule.
What do I do now?
If this sounds like an interesting opportunity, please apply by email at email@example.com, and include your LinkedIn profile, CV, Github repos, or anything else that you think might give us a good sense of who you are.